With a view to secure all Lithuanian residents to watch the events of major importance (e.g. basketball, football championships, song festivals, etc) via free-to-air television programmes, it is necessary to approve the list of the events of major importance for Lithiuania on the national level. Such a list eventually has also to be approved by the European Commission. Once the list is approved and published in the EU official gazette it becomes legally binding in the EU territory.
According to article 38.7 of the Law on Provision of Information to the Public with the purpose to decide which events could be considered of major importance to the country, the Radio and Television Commission formed a working group with the representatives from its own Commission, Ministry of Culture, Physical Culture and Sports Department under the LR Government, Lithuanian National Olympic Committee, Lithuanian Basketball Federation, Lithuanian Football Federation, Lithuanian Radio and Television Association, UAB „Sic Gallup Media“ and Lithuanian Seimas Education, Science and Culture Committee. In compliance with all the criteria and conditions laid down in the EU legal acts, the working group prepared the list of the events of major importance for Lithuania, which was published on the Radio and Television Commission‘s web site for public harmonisation.
Having discussed all the suggestions submitted to the working group the Radio and Television Commission approved of the following list:
- Summer and winter Olympic games ( opening and closing ceremonies and matches, where Lithuanian sportsmen are participating);
- Official basketball matches, where Lithuanian national men basketball team is playing;
- Semifinals and final matches of men basketball tournaments of the World‘s and European championships and Olympic games;
- Official football matches, where Lithuanian national men football team is playing;
- Semifinals and final matches of men football tournaments of the World‘s and European championships and Olympic games;
- Events of the final stages of the World‘s and European Track-and-field athletics championships, where Lithuanian sportsmen are participating;
- Lithuanian Song Festival.
On the offering of the LR Ministry of Culture this list has to be approved by the LR Government and then it will be submitted to the European Commssion.
It is important to note that the events in the list will not necesserily be broadcast by one of the Lithuanian broadcaster. It depends on the possibility of a broadcaster to acquire the rights to broadcast a particular event. Including an event into the list means only the way of its broadcasting, i. e. firstly on free-to-air television programmes, secondly – only live coverage.